Thursday, January 29


I wasn't going to post today because I am dead tired, but I'll give it a shot.

Last night we had dinner with friends at the Rio Chama bar, one of our regular spots. Said friends are moving to Milwaukee soon and dinner turned into quite a feast. Here's what was on the table:

Pan Roasted Duck Breast with Crispy Duck Spring Roll served with red lentils with swiss chard and a hoisin-chipotle sauce. (This was my meal and it was excellent.)

Seared Diver Scallops with Saffron-Vanilla Buerre Blanc served with corn cakes and vegetable julienne. (I've had this before and it is simply amazing. Always a nice treat to get good scallops in New Mexico.)

Cinnamon-Chile Rubbed Beef Tenderloin Medallions
Two Medallions of Sterling Silver natural-fed Angus beef grilled to order with chipotle cheddar mash, almond green beans, and mango salsa. (Had a bite of the tenderloin and it was mind-blowing.)

Braised Buffalo Short Rib with Fig Barbeque Sauce served with jalapeno-cheddar cornbread. (I've had this dish before too and it is super rich and super tasty.)

I didn't feel like dessert, but I did have a Smith and Kerns, a simple drink that I don't believe I ever knew about. Kahlua, cream and club soda. Quite tasty.

Anyway, good times were had and we got home early enough. I went to bed at around 9:30 or 10:00, as I am prone to do. Woke up at 12:42 with dreams of felting flower petals lingering in my head. I got up to drink a glass of water and immediately knew that I wasn't going to be falling asleep again. I felt wide wake. What happened to the nights of at least sleeping through until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning?! I would welcome a night like that. I realize some of you probably aren't even in bed at 12:42am, but for me it is not a time that I like to be awake. I found myself on the couch, hoping for a good late night movie, but no such luck. Instead I watched an episode of House. The guy who used to play Buffy's non-vampire boyfriend was the ailing patient in it. After that it was super slim pickings and I ended up watching an episode of Law & Order from 1991! Samuel L. Jackson and Philip Seymour Hoffman were both in it. And nobody had cell phones.

I went back to bed at 3:00am and discovered that Will was awake. We talked for a few minutes and then he ended up going out to the living room to watch television. I did finally sleep a bit, or at least I assume I did since I had a few dreams, but it wasn't good sleep and I felt like death warmed over this morning. What's the deal? Last year around this time my insomnia got increasingly worse as well. I wonder what it is? All I know is that I want to be rested up for the Big Game on Sunday.

Needless to say, today hasn't been a super productive day, although we did manage to complete most of our errands. We were both functioning in slow motion mode and spent far too much time gazing at various card selections, trying to pick cards out for upcoming birthdays. This afternoon I did manage to get halfway through knitting bag number six. I'll finish it this evening and felt it tomorrow.

I have some rambling to do about football, but I'll save it for tomorrow. Which is finally Friday. (I've thought every day was Friday since yesterday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.