Thursday, August 28

Still writing about vacation.

It's hard to believe that it's been a month since our vacation and I'm *still* writing about it. And posting photos. We're going to go on vacation again before I get done with this one! No, actually I'm rather sick of posting about the past, but I am determined to follow through and finish what I started. I have such a bad memory, it'll help me remember later.

Vacation, Day Five

I went running on the beach in the morning, something I love to do. The ocean is absolutely mesmerizing. Sometimes it is hard for me to focus on running because I keep gazing out at the water or searching the sand for treasures.

and rocks

The rest of the morning was all about rest and relaxation. My aunt and I spent many hours going through boxes of my grandmother's historical records which was absolutely fascinating to me. (Next up, scanning all the photos she sent home with me.) We took a drive through the naval base at North Island with my aunt and uncle which was actually pretty interesting. (My uncle is ex-Navy.) And then we had lunch by the ferry dock in Coronado.

Later, Will and I drove back to Coronado to check out the Hotel del Coronado. It's quite the grand hotel, built in 1888. We walked through the lobby and then had expensive cocktails at the bar overlooking the beach.

After cocktails, we took a walk along the beach. Coronado's beach is so much nicer than the beach at Imperial Beach. Cleaner. Wider. Though still covered in kelp.

That evening we just hung out on the patio out back.

My aunt and uncle have a lime tree and a grapefruit tree. So nice!

Vacation, Day Six
Friday was all about the zoo. We got there first thing in the morning and stayed a good part of the day. San Diego has a pretty stellar zoo, but visiting it in July is not the best time. We did not see a lot of the animals as it was too hot for them to be out. In fact, we didn't really see any of the big cats which was disappointing. The big cats are our favorites! But we did see the pandas, so cute!

And so hard to photograph. We had to wait in a long line and once in the exhibit, they kind of herd everyone through so it's not so easy to stop and take photos.

All-in-all it was a fun day, but we hope to go back sometime in the spring or fall so we can see more of the animals.

That evening we went out for seafood. Not having researched restaurants in San Diego, I didn't really know where to go. My aunt and uncle don't eat out that much so they weren't sure either. We ended up going to the Harbor House in Seaport Village, a restaurant that we used to go to when I was younger. It turned out to be overpriced and mediocre. Definitely a let down, but oh well, it happens. At least we had good company. Oh and it's right by the Convention Center. That weekend was Comic-Con and there were *tons* of people milling around. Lots of cool costumes and odd-looking folks.

We had been planning to head home on Saturday, but we were having such a nice time, we decided to stay one more day. Plus I was determined to make it to H&M and we hadn't done that yet. So, next up, day seven!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.